There's no reason to let an apple go to waste. When you've got lots of apples, you can make apple pie, crumble, or crisp for the perfect dessert any time of the year. But can you put them in the freezer to serve later on? We've asked our trusted bakers and here's what they say based on their experience.
Apple pie, crumble, and crisp all do well in the cold. As long as they are sealed tightly, they will last for 4 months in the freezer. It won't matter if they are baked or unbaked, they will be fine in cold storage when stored properly.
Continue reading because we'll share with you great tips on how you can keep your apple pies, crumbles, and crisps fresh in the freezer until you serve them to your family and friends. This is your ultimate guide for freezing, thawing, and reheating these delectable desserts!
NOTE: WE MAY GET A COMMISSION IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE A PURCHASE THROUGH THESE LINKS. THERE'S ADDITIONAL NO COST TO YOU. CHECK THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE FOR MORE INFORMATION.
How to freeze Apple Pie, Crumble, and Crisp
There's something about apple baking in the oven that brings us happiness. The smell alone will excite your senses and when you serve it, there's heavenly goodness in every bite. It can be an apple pie, crumble, or crisp and each one is perfect for dessert for any occasion. The best thing about these goodies is that you can prepare them ahead of time and they all do well in the freezer. It's so great to have these succulent treats on hand to share with your loved ones.
Here's how to freeze them properly:
- Allow your apple pie, crumble, or crisp to cool completely before you can put them in the freezer.
- Cover them tightly with 2 layers of aluminum foil to seal in their freshness. You can also use multiple layers of plastic wrap then put them inside a freezer bag. Make sure there's no air inside before you seal it.
- Label with the content and date before putting it inside the freezer.
- Consume within 4 months for best quality.
Is it better to freeze an apple pie before or after baking?
You can freeze apple pie before or after baking it. Either way, it'll last in the freezer for up to 6 months. But experts say that it is better to freeze unbaked fruit pies so that you can enjoy them in their best quality when you serve them. You can just put your prepared apple pie straight into the oven from the freezer so that it's freshly baked upon serving.
Here's a tip when preparing your apple pie, add an extra tablespoon of flour to your filling and sprinkle a tablespoon of flour on the pie shell before you pour the filling. This will prevent your pie filling from boiling over as you bake your fruit pie later on.
Can you freeze apple crisp after baking?
You can bake your apple crisp ahead of time and store it in the freezer. Just let it cool down after baking then cover it tightly with 2 layers of aluminum foil. Label it and put the date before you put the fruit crisp inside the freezer. Consume within 3 to 4 months. When you're ready to eat it, just remove the foil wrapping and put it in the oven. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top for a classic, all-time favorite dessert.
Can you freeze apple pie filling?
When you have a lot of apples, you can make them into apple pie filling. Don't worry because you can keep them in the freezer where they'll last for one year. Preparing your desserts won't take up so much time when you have apple pie filling in your freezer all the time.
They're so easy to do and you can use them later on for your apple pie, tarts, and other desserts. After you've cooked your apple pie filling, allow it to cool before transferring them into freezer bags. It is best to freeze them according to the portions that you need for baking. Don't forget to put a label and date on the containers before putting them inside the freezer.
How long can you keep crumble in the freezer?
If stored properly in an airtight container, you can keep your crumble in the freezer for 3 to 4 months. You can freeze it baked or unbaked. Make sure to consume it within 4 months to enjoy its best quality. Beyond this period, ice crystals will begin to form on your crumble which will affect its texture once you take it out of the freezer.
How long can you keep apple crisp in the freezer?
Apple crisps do well in cold storage whether you've already baked them or not. Make sure you wrap them in 2 layers of aluminum foil before freezing to seal in their freshness. They will stay safe inside the freezer for 3 to 4 months if stored the right way.
How do you defrost frozen apple pie?
If you want to serve your apple pie for dessert, you've got to plan ahead to give it time to thaw. You have to completely defrost your frozen apple pie so that it'll be as sweet and tasty as the day it was freshly baked. There are 3 ways to thaw this fruit pie. You can use the refrigerator, oven, or just leave it on the counter.
Using the refrigerator
This method is best used when you've got a full day until you plan to serve your pie.
- Take the apple pie out of the freezer.
- Transfer it to the fridge but don't remove the cover.
- Leave it there for 12 to 24 hours to thaw completely.
Leaving it on the counter
If you have half a day until serving time, you can just put in on the counter to thaw.
- Remove the fruit pie from the freezer.
- Set it on the counter to defrost.
- Wait for 3 to 5 hours to thaw completely.
- Don't leave your pie on the counter for more than 5 hours to avoid food spoilage.
Using the oven
If you prefer serving a hot apple pie, then this method is recommended for you. It is also the fastest way to defrost your fruit pie.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove your apple pie from the freezer and take off the wrappings.
- Place it in a baking tray.
- Put the tray in the center of the oven.
- Bake until the pie is completely warm. Baking time will vary depending on the size of your pie. It'll take around 25 minutes for a 5-inch pie and around an hour for a 10-inch pie.
- Here's a tip: You can use a fork or knife to check if your pie is already warm all throughout. Just insert the utensil in the center portion of the pie then check if the temperature is warm enough.
- Let it cool for a bit before serving.
How do you reheat frozen apple crumble?
The good thing about frozen apple crumbles is that you can reheat them straight from the freezer! No need to wait until they get thawed completely. You can satisfy your apple crumble cravings immediately. There are 2 ways to heat it. You can use your oven or your microwave. Here are the steps for each method.
Using the oven
This is recommended when you're heating the whole pan of apple crumble.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place your apple crumble in a baking tray. Keep the foil on.
- Put your frozen apple crumble at the center of the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Take off the foil and return the apple crumble inside the oven. You can drizzle some melted butter on top if you're worried about it getting too dry.
- Continue baking until the streusel toppings are golden brown in color and the apples underneath are bubbling. This can take around 30 minutes depending on how cold your apple crumble is.
- Serve immediately. Don't forget to put vanilla ice cream on top for a delightful dessert!
Using the microwave
When you just want to reheat small portions of your apple crumble, you can use the microwave instead.
- Slice the portion that you need for serving.
- Place it on a microwave-safe plate.
- Put it at the center of your microwave.
- Heat for 30- to 60-second intervals until completely warm.
- Serve while hot.
If you're reheating a store-bought apple crumble, check the package instructions first. Some do not recommend microwave heating.
Go ahead and freeze your apple pie, crumble, and crisp so you can always have the perfect treat to share with your family and friends. You can serve these fruity delights plain or top with ice cream or whipped cream for a satisfying dessert. Yum!