Disclosure: We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Burritos are always a great option for quick and easy lunch or dinner and yes, breakfast too! They're the type of food that you can make ahead of time, store a bunch in the freezer, then pop in the oven when you're too busy to cook on weekdays. But wait, you don't know how to freeze burritos the right way? The ones you put in the freezer always end up being soggy? We asked burrito lovers how they keep their burritos fresh in the freezer and here's what they've shared with us.
Follow these steps for your burritos to last long in the freezer:
- Wrap each filled tortilla tightly with parchment paper and aluminum foil.
- Put them in a freezer bag.
- Arrange them in a single layer and remove excess air before sealing.
- To reheat, remove the foil and parchment paper.
- Cover with a paper towel and heat in the microwave for 3 minutes on each side.
Hang on because we'll share with you more tips about how to prepare, freeze, and reheat your burritos so you can enjoy their original flavor.
The best way to freeze your burritos
Burritos are so easy to prepare and they freeze very well. Go ahead and make a large batch so you can just grab them out of the freezer whenever you need a quick bite any time of the day.
Here's how to keep your burritos fresh in the freezer:
- Put aluminum foil and parchment paper under your tortilla then assemble your favorite fillings.
- Start with a layer of your starches such as rice and beans then a cupful of your chosen proteins, veggies, and cheese.
- Roll the tortilla and make sure the top and bottom sections are tucked in properly so that your fillings won't spill out.
- Cover the burrito tightly with parchment paper and aluminum foil. Do this for the rest of your tortilla wraps.
- Arrange your covered burritos in a single layer inside a freezer bag.
- Make sure you remove the excess air before sealing it.
- Put a label outside the bag and write down the date.
- Freeze and consume within 3 months for the best quality.
How do you prepare burritos to freeze?
The proper way of freezing fabulous burritos starts with the right preparation. That means choosing the right ingredients, cooking them properly, and bringing all of them to room temperature before you assemble your burrito.
Experts say that flour tortillas make the best burritos since they won't tear easily. A good freezer burrito is composed of your favorite combination of starches, proteins, and vegetables. But avoid using ingredients that don't do well in the freezer such as guacamole and sour cream. They will affect the texture of your burrito and won't make it as appetizing when thawed. Don't worry because you can add them later on after reheating your wrapped meals to enhance the taste of your burrito.
Follow the instructions above for the proper assembly and wrapping of your burrito.
How do you make frozen burritos not soggy?
It's not enjoyable to eat a soggy burrito, right? That's why you have to be extra careful while preparing freezer burritos. The key here is in the temperature of your ingredients, from the tortilla to the filling. They should all be at room temperature as you're assembling your burrito. When the ingredients are still warm, there'll be excess heat which will cause your Mexican dish to be soggy. Here are some more tips for you.
- Roll your tortilla tightly to make sure that no moisture gets inside.
- Cover with plastic wrap then aluminum foil before putting it in the freezer.
- When it's time to reheat your burrito, use the oven instead of the microwave to make the tortilla brown and crispy.
How do you store and reheat breakfast burritos?
Most of the time, mornings are so busy that you don't have time to cook a decent meal for breakfast. But since it is the most important meal of the day, let us give you a wonderful idea. Why not prepare a large batch of breakfast burritos on the weekend so that you'll have a delicious meal to start your day during those hectic weekday mornings?
Here's how you can store and reheat your breakfast burritos:
- Follow your favorite recipe for breakfast burritos. Of course, you shouldn't forget your bacon (or other favorite meat), hash browns, and cheese for your fillings. Let your ingredients cool after cooking.
- Place your tortilla in a square aluminum foil and assemble your burrito.
- Roll the tortilla tightly tucking in the top and bottom parts first.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Do this with the rest of your breakfast burritos.
- Place each covered tortilla in a freezer bag. Arrange them in a single layer.
- Indicate the contents and date on the freezer bag before putting them inside the freezer.
- If you're going to have them for breakfast the next day, transfer the burritos to the fridge overnight.
- To reheat, remove the aluminum foil cover and replace it with a paper towel. Heat in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or until completely warm. Or you can put them in the oven and bake for 10 minutes under 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Have a satisfying and delicious meal for breakfast!
How do you defrost frozen burritos?
Thawing your burritos is the first step to enjoying this Mexican dish all over again. There are 2 ways to go about it. You can either put it in the fridge to defrost it overnight. Or you can put it in the microwave. Remove the plastic wrap and aluminum foil then cover it with a paper towel. Put it on defrost setting and heat your burrito for 7 minutes on each side. As you do this, the fillings will also be warm enough for eating.
How do you reheat a burrito?
The purpose of freezing your burritos is for you to enjoy them later on. And when the perfect time comes that you have to take it out of cold storage for a quick meal, you have to reheat it properly. There are 2 ways for you to cook your frozen burritos. There's the oven and the microwave. And the best part is you can skip thawing and get started on heating them right away. Here's how.
In the oven
Reheating your frozen burrito using the oven will take longer but will result in a crispy shell so it's worth your time if you prefer to have some crunch in your meal:
- Preheat your oven to 400 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the parchment paper from your frozen burrito if there is any.
- Cover the burrito with aluminum foil.
- Place it on a cookie sheet and put it at the center of the oven.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how crispy you want your tortilla to be.
- Dress it up with some freshly chopped veggies, salsa, sour cream, or hot sauce.
In the microwave
This is a quicker way to reheat your frozen burritos. However, you will also get a softer tortilla if you follow this method:
- Remove all wrappings from your burrito then wrap it with a paper towel.
- Put it on a microwave-safe dish.
- Place at the center of the microwave and heat for 3 minutes on each side.
- Let it rest for a while before you dress it up with your favorite sauce and veggies.
- If you want a crispy tortilla, you can transfer it to a skillet and cook each side over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until you achieve your desired texture.
How to make frozen burritos taste better
That's right! Frozen burritos are so versatile and you can dress them up so that they'll taste even better after you reheat them. There are so many ingredients to choose from. You can put guacamole, salsa, sour cream, pickled onions, chopped cilantro, more shredded cheese, hot sauce, and then squeeze lime all over it. Yummy!
Make sure that you wrap your burritos tightly with parchment paper and aluminum foil to seal in the flavor and freshness while inside the freezer. You can reheat it through the microwave if you want a soft tortilla or use the oven for a crispy burrito. Add your favorite toppings to make them even tastier and you have a quick, delicious, and complete meal. Freezer burritos are definitely a life saver during busy days!